Volunteer as an Interpreter
Volunteers, ages 18 and up, who serve as interpreters are responsible for leading guided tours through the Surratt House Museum. The role of the interpreter is to educate the public on the story of Mary Surratt and her role with the Lincoln assassination, daily life in Prince George's County during the mid-1800s, and the Victorian era. Interpreters are required to wear period attire and are trained in the art of giving tours as well as in the history of the house and Surratt family. This opportunity is great for individuals with outgoing personalities and a love for history!
Volunteer in our Visitors' Center
Volunteers, ages 18 and up, are responsible for welcoming visitors to the Surratt House Museum. Period costumes are not required. Stationed in the Surratt House Museum Visitors’ Center, the volunteer sells museum admission tickets, assigns tour times and informs visitors of other things to see and do before and after the tour. The volunteer also assists the museum staff with other duties when needed. Visitors’ Center volunteers are responsible for promoting and selling merchandise within the shop and informing staff when items need restocking. This position requires a willingness to learn to work with computers. Volunteering in our Visitors’ Center can be a great opportunity to meet guests from all over the world!
Benefits of Volunteering at the Surratt House
• Free training in giving historic tours
• Opportunities to attend events and lectures for free
• 15% off purchases at our Gift Shop
• Discount for Surratt Society Annual Conference
• Special events for Volunteers
• Awards given for achievements and hours volunteered
• Enjoying history in a fun atmosphere with others who share your interests!
• The ability to share your knowledge and love for history with your friends and community
Volunteers are expected to serve at least once a month. And remember - volunteering is a wonderful way to learn more and to share your expertise.
To become a volunteer, contact us. Potential volunteers will then register online.